11.30.2006
[Robbers on High Street]
Remember Robbers on High Street (post)? If not, allow me to get some cogs turning. Robbers on High Street is a quartet from New York that I found through a now defunct Spoon forum. Ah yes, Spoon. If there's any other band that can be mentioned in the same breath as Robbers on High Street, it's most definitely Spoon. Some go as far to say that Robbers is a complete rip-off of Spoon, and I'll even admit that within my first few listens, I fell under the very same attitude. Of course, that was before my ear was trained to differentiate the two, and at that, I can well argue that Robbers on High Street are an act of their own. Hopefully, I can get you to contrast the two as well. Though much of the sound may well ride the same amplitude as the Austin demigods - the guitar and even the vocals both hit a very Spoonish chord - Robbers on High Street carry a younger demeanor, as well as an in-your-face style that Spoon dropped in lieu of a more mellow route back with Girls Can Tell. Robbers on High Street, my friends, is no rip-off; Robbers on High Street are proteges. The group have been working on their next album, Grand Animals (release Spring '07), and opted to send out an EP to keep us content as we wait. The Fatalist And Friends EP was released earlier this month and features two unreleased tracks as well as one track from the upcoming Grand Animals album. If you want to hear more from that album, chances are they'll be testing some songs during their December tour...

From The Fatalist And Friends (all songs are right click - save as):
The Fatalist

From Tree City:
Montefiore
Love Underground
Beneath the Trees

Check out tour dates at the Robbers on High Street site.
Be their friend!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Otherwheres - Chris over at Gorilla VS Bear recently found out that Matt & Kim made a video for their highly infectious song, Yea Yeah.

Otherwheres - Dodge over at My Old Kentucky Blog gives us a peek of Eastern Stars members' other project, Mixel Pixel...

Otherwheres - Mike at Nothing But Green Lights has great Los Campesinos! news...

Otherwheres - I hate mashups, but Connor over at IGIF found one that I can at least say piques my interest...
3 Comments:
Anonymous Sassy Sue said...
Yeah, these guys have some good songs but they are basically a Spoon cover band. Other than that I don't really dig the one guitar player's playing. The main guy has a great thing going though.

Blogger Brad aka Penguin said...
Yeah I definitely thought that the first time I heard these kids. Aha, I actually heard about these guys on a Spoon forum - their music was pretty much harassed as a copy - but after a while you notice the differences. No one can be like Spoon, and so I guess it can be equally said that no one's like Robbers.

Anonymous sparrow said...
The only similarity between Robbers & Spoon is Ben's singing style, his vocal delivery to be exact. it sounds like the way Britt sings sometimes. But really, Ben has a very different sounding voice & the new album Grand Animals really showcases that voice. On Grand, I can never picture Britt singing any of the songs, Ben totally comes into his own & the Spoon comparisons should probably (hopefully) stop & let them get on with their own thing, which is a good thing, very good tunes, esp if you have soft spot for 70s AM radio-sounding stuff played by today's young male musicians, like I do.