12.26.2006
[Americanada]
Ah, North America - a continent hogged by only three countries, two of which are Canada and the United States of America. Together, they form a union which should have been formalized decades ago. Together, they form a union I like to call Americanada, and it would have many things to be proud of. At least, musically, it would have many things to be proud of. You see, on the way home from a rather festive holiday party, Scandimania! was put on. Amongst the Swedish tunage streaming out of the speakers, it was remarked by a friend that European music is "so much more well-done" than anything over here. I disagreed if not just for the sake of disagreeing, but you have to admit that it makes for a good argument. As a sort of "Aha!", I decided to formulate a mix for the guy, and so Americanada was born. Now the nation of Americanada can't just be built upon a foundation made by one, so I decided to let other bloggers put in their word as to what they think are great Americanadian artists. Great Americanadian artists that prove we've got music to be proud of too. So wave a flag and pin that lapel cause we're getting patriotic for Americanada!

The Americanada Mix (all songs are right click - save as & artist name leads to site):

My Picks
Spoon - Jonathon Fisk
Ben Kweller - Magic

Alina's Picks
TV on the Radio - Province
Fiona Apple - Window

Matt at You Ain't No Picasso
The Magnetic Fields - I Wish I Had An Evil Twin
Bishop Allen - Butterfly Nets

Matt of Skatterbrain
Olivia Tremor Control - A Peculiar Noise Called "Train Director"
Beulah - If We Can Land A Man on the Moon, Surely I Can Win Your Heart

Chris at Gorilla VS Bear
Midlake - Roscoe
Joanna Newsom - Sadie

Pete of Renaissance Men Don't Surf
Okkervil River - For Real
Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - The Angel's Share

Connor at I Guess I'm Floating
Sufjan Stevens - Come On, Feel the Illinoise
Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)

Nathaniel of I Guess I'm Floating
Modest Mouse - Float On
Tom Waits - Lucinda

Lawrence at Covert Curiosity
Tapes 'n Tapes - Omaha
Ratatat - Lex

-------------------------------------------------------------

Otherwheres - Matt over at You Ain't No Picasso topped off this year's Mixmas(es?) with a contribution from one of Both Sides' favorite frontmans, Keith Murray of We Are Scientists...

Otherwheres - Dodge at My Old Kentucky Blog got one hell of a christmas present, so go wish him a huge congratulations!

Otherwheres - Gorilla VS Bear Chris put up his various bests of '06 list a few days ago...

Otherwheres - On a low note, the Godfather of Soul, James Brown died yesterday morning at the age of 73...
5 Comments:
Anonymous jessica said...
Hello

I was looking for ways that would help me get free traffic to my Blog. While I was searching on Blogger, I found your Blog. I know it does not have to do with getting traffic but I really enjoyed reading it, great job!!
In fact I have my own Blog and I get a lot of free traffic from http://www.autosurfmonster.com , If I were you I would submit this Blog to them so thousands of others can see it for free. Well, I will add your Blog to my favorites and I look forward to all the updates.

Jessica

Blogger sufjanismyfriend said...
definately good choices.

Anonymous Kate said...
I'm Canadian-born and now living in the States, and my whole family has dual citizenship. We've used the term "Americanadian" to refer to ourselves since it popped up in my mom's head one day and I must say, I think it's one of the catchiest non-words ever! Naturally, I was pleased to see it appear here--and the mix was pretty good, too :)

Blogger Brad aka Penguin said...
Kate - I was pretty much glad the idea for this mix came around as I'm rather fond of using the term "Americanada" myself. Glad you liked it...

Blogger Wolvish said...
Yeahhhh... Americanada puts shivers down my spine. I personally cannot believe you advocate such a union. Canada is a sovereign nation, and should never, ever, be anything but. The United States is a mess, and I don't want my country to be ANYTHING like that.