12.21.2007
[Musikkah! Day Six - Americanada]
Musikkah Day Six
What is this Musikkah you speak of? [Post]

I can very much say that Americanada is one of my favorite mixes, and chances are is that it's because I got to probe the minds of some of my favorite bloggers for it. It's my first collaborative mix, and I intend on doing something like this again very soon. I've had hopes of doing a European take to battle this mix for months now...maybe the time has come for that to finally get done.

Americanada

Originally Posted 12.26.06

Ah, North America - a continent hogged by only three countries, two of which are Canada and the United States of America. Together, they form a union which should have been formalized decades ago. Together, they form a union I like to call Americanada, and it would have many things to be proud of. At least, musically, it would have many things to be proud of. You see, on the way home from a rather festive holiday party, Scandimania! was put on. Amongst the Swedish tunage streaming out of the speakers, it was remarked by a friend that European music is "so much more well-done" than anything over here. I disagreed if not just for the sake of disagreeing, but you have to admit that it makes for a good argument. As sort of an "Aha!", I decided to formulate a mix for the guy, and so Americanada was born. Now the nation of Americanda can't just be built upon a foundation made by one, so I decided to let other bloggers put in their word as to what they think are great Americanadian artists. Great Americanadian artists that prove we've got music to be proud of too. So wave a flag and pin that lapel 'cause we're getting patriotic for Americanada!

Americanada (artist name leads to site and all songs are right click - save as):

My Picks
Spoon - Jonathon Fisk
Ben Kweller - Magic

Alina's Picks
TV on the Radio - Province
Fiona Apple - Window

Matt at You Ain't No Picasso
The Magnetic Fields - I Wish I Had An Evil Twin
Bishop Allen - Butterfly Nets

Matt of Skatterbrain
Olivia Tremor Control - A Peculiar Noise Called "Train Director"
Beulah - If We Can Land A Man On The Moon, Surely I Can Win Your Heart

Chris at Gorilla VS Bear
Midlake - Roscoe
Joanna Newsom - Sadie

Connor of I Guess I'm Floating
Sufjan Stevens - Come On, Feel the Illinoise
Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)

Nathaniel at I Guess I'm Floating
Modest Mouse - Float On
Tom Waits - Lucinda

Lawrence of Covert Curiosity
Tapes 'n Tapes - Omaha
Ratatat - Lex

----------------------------------------------------------------

Otherwheres - Be sure to head on over to You Ain't No Picasso for the 12 Days of Mixmas...

Otherwheres - Yesterday was Thursday, so as per usual, IGIF has Thursdays and Christmas, I mean Thursdays and Covers or...wait.

Otherwheres - If you're in my area of Austin, Texas and the immediate beyond and you got nothin' better to do on Saturday night, be sure to have yourself the best time you can have for $2 over at Mohawk's for night of Indieroke! Head on over to the Austinist for the entire scoop...

Labels: ,

4 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Ben Kweller is Australian

Anonymous Mark said...
Ben Kweller's a Texas boy, raised in Dallas.

Blogger Brad aka Penguin said...
What Mark said...

Blogger Nora said...
just discovered this blog! it is excellent!