10.18.2006
9

Damien Rice's new album, 9, brings me to tears. In a good way. Maybe it's just my sensitivity, but certain songs, certain voices, certain melodies can actually make me cry. I get that from Fiona Apple's "Never is a Promise," from that one vocal break of Radiohead's "Fake Plastic Trees," from the first line of Cat Power's "Colors and the Kids," and from the chorus of Damien Rice's "Elephant." The first time I heard this song was when I saw him live this summer with Fiona. I had never heard it before and I was wadded up next to this bellowing drunk guy who smelled like shit, but it still made me cry. It was just so fucking penetrating. And that's basically what the rest of 9 is, too. Touching. The point of view of this album is pretty much consistent with his others -- acoustic guitar, cello, straight up folk. But for some reason or another, the songs just seem much more heartfelt and personal. I think it's all in his voice. He has the greatest control over every inflection and break that comes out of his mouth. Of course, Lisa Hannigan's voice compliments Damien's perfectly. They were perfect together in "Volcano," so think that, just for every song on 9. 9 is set to release on November 6th, so make sure to get yourself a copy.


m4a 9 Crimes
m4a Me, My Yoke and I

Damien Rice's Official site