11.13.2006
R.I.P. Rainer Maria

Strange how the arms sting
When you're left holding nothing

Oh, my arms are stinging. I am sorry to announce that Rainer Maria, one of my favorite bands of all motherfucking time, has now deceased for "musical and personal reasons." What a welcome back, huh. You cannot imagine the pain that struck my heart when I received the call...
I wasn't prepared for this noOoOOOoO (that's my ringtone, brownie points if you can name the song and band)
Me: Hello?
Brad: So it looks like your first new post is going to be a funeral eulogy...
Me: Who died!
Brad: Rainer Maria...
Me: %&$#%$%**&wildemotioncryingshockandsurprise

Needless to say, I am quite sad. And to rub more salt into the wound, turns out their last two shows are nowhere near Texas. If any of you are Philadelphians or New Yorkers, you have my envy. Tickets for the New York show are already out and the Philadelphia tix just went on sale today. I'll post the tour dates and venues later.
Well, for a full decade now, Rainer Maria has provided the world with beautiful, poetic, poignant music. Who can forget their 11 EPs and albums? From their first self-titled EP with the heartbreaking track Made in Secret, to their latest (and last) release Catastrophe Keeps Us Together (I guess catastropohe was absent from their world), Rainer Maria's music will live on, even though the band's identity may not. Named after my favorite poet, Rainer Maria Rilke, Rainer Maria was deep, artistic, and WONDERFUL.

And now they're dead.

Rest in peace, Rainer Maria.

The Tour Dates for Rainer Maria's Last Two Shows and if You Are Able to Go, but Don't, You Are an Ungrateful Idiot and I Wish You Were Never Born:
Dec. 15 First Unitarian Church Philadelphia, PA
Dec. 16 Bowery Ballroom New York, NY

mp3 Ears Ring
mp3 Artificial Light
mp3 Broken Radio

Rainer Maria's Official site
Rainer Maria's Myspace
2 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Yeah, it's always a bummer when a band breaks up. I'll definitely check these tracks out, thanks. I'm fortunate enough to be living in NYC, so I might end up checking out their farewell show.

Keep up the good work.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
i went to the dec 15th.
it was unreal.
greatest show i ever saw!