12.21.2006
The Greatest of '06: A Monster Post in Parts-- Part III
My favorite number is three. It's the third installation!!!

6.
Malajube- Trompe-L'Oeil

My most favorite French-Canadian band of all time, Malajube. The songs are in French and impossible for me to sing along to (I'm sure Brad appreciates this fact), but they are upbeat, raucous, wondrous music. "Casse-Cou" would have to be my favorite song-- I love the little guitar riff that plays while the singers are screaming. Far from screamo though, Malajube is kind of... yell-o... Listen to the bridge of "La Monogamie" to get what I'm talking about. Vocals are often doubled up, with one guy more or less singing straightout and another whispering or yelling the lyrics out. Makes for a great, quirky sound.
Go Canada!

mp3 La Monogamie
mp3 Casse-Cou

5.

Arctic Monkeys- Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

Arctic Monkeys completely blew up this year. Brad and I were fortunate enough to catch their show at Stubb's this summer, and they were amazing. They're everywhere and everyone loves them and that may be cause for disenchantment, but their 2006 release Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not (long breath) is very very fun and deserving of all the attention it got this year. Every song is an anthem and a toe-tapper, perfect to hear live. The instruments are as solid as they've ever been and the choruses are infectious and prone to being wedged in your skull for weeks. Don't be turned off by the hype-- Arctic Monkeys really are good!

mp3 Fake Tales of San Francisco
mp3 Mardy Bum

--

Soyea voting on our new color scheme is officially over. Hope you guys have your say!

Soyea a contest is coming... I can taste it...
1 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
The arctic monkeys album is actually titled Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I Am NOT. You left off kind of an important word.