1.20.2007
I Love You, But I've Chosen Darkness


Brad's twee is all good and dandy, but sometimes happy, saccharine tunes just won't do it for you. By now, I think I've pretty much established myself as the Darker Side of the Mouth (if it seems like Brad is so much nicer than I am, that's because it's true). With that said, it's only fitting that I adore this band. Hailing from right here in Austin, I Love You, But I've Chosen Darkness creates ethereal indie rock with lifted vocals and '80s beats (listen to the snare in "When You Go Out" -- you'll be reminded of Billy Idol). I'm normally drawn to bands with awesome guitars, and for sure, this band does have awesome guitars, but I have to say that the standout instrument of Chosen Darkness is the bass. Covering a range that is not often covered by the genre, the bass lines are incredible and creative, adding a subtle yet strong backbone to every track. I love you, Edward Robert!

mp3 When You Go Out
mp3 According to Plan


Video for "The Owl"
(This video is excellent. Featured on Pitchfork Media's Top 25 Music Videos of 2006, the video was created by Canadian animation student, Emmanuel Ho, sans production company guidance.)


--

Soyea bandwidth has run out once more on one account, even though it was reset a mere 13 days ago. I bet some fucker is hotlinking... Anyway, it'll be reset again in 17 days, so if some of my old links aren't working, that is why.

Labels: