2.26.2007
[Peter Bjorn and John: Album Review & Contest]
"If I told you things I did before, told you how I used to be, would you go along with someone like me?"

Would I, could I, should I get my alarm clock to wake me up with any tune, without a doubt, I would have it play Young Folks by Peter Bjorn and John softly every morning. Peter Bjorn and John is, simply enough, a trio from IKEA-land (that's Sweden for all of you devoid of that blue and yellow wonder) composed of Peter Morén, Björn Yttling and what their site names as John...from Norrbotten - actually it's John Eriksson. And you thought Peter, Bjorn and John was a band name they just made up. As you can see from their band-naming process, these guys don't have to distract you with anything in an effort to impress you. Their music is simple, great, and just gets the job done. Young Folks in particular is a great song that carries only a few simple layers of some shuffling, drums, keys, vocals and that incredibly infectious whistling (learn the tune for whistle you shall). Part of their third album, Writer's Block, Young Folks, as well as the rest of the trio's discography, gained quite a bit of attention last year despite the album's very limited availability. In fact, we here in the States couldn't even get it until earlier this month. Well, it's here now, and it's quite an album. Carrying the usual bits that were released throughout the blogs last year with songs like Young Folks and Objects of My Affection, Writer's Block manages to keep our attention by giving most of us things we've yet to hear - new favorites of mine include Amsterdam and Let's Call It Off. Released under Almost Gold Recordings, Writer's Block is a two-disc set that never falls short of what you would expect from Peter Bjorn and John. The entire album carries that ethereal feel. I said earlier that I'd love to wake up to Young Folks, and that's because Peter Bjorn and John have this ability to wake you up and have you keep dreaming. Listening to them puts you into a self-projected state, and I know I'm not the only one that wishes I could get through a day on auto-pilot - Writer's Block grabs four daydreams out of five...

From Writer's Block (all songs are right click - save as):
Young Folks ft. Victoria Bergsman
Let's Call It Off [Single Mix]
Amsterdam

You can pick up Writer's Block all over the place for around $10.

CONTEST OVER - CONGRATS RICHELLE REYES!

Peter Bjorn and John are currently on tour in Australia, but the trio have plans to continue dates over in Europe and North America including South By! - check it out at their site.
Be their friend!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Otherwheres - Alina and I will be deleting things from the archives again, so grab what you missed up to the new year. We're also gonna cut down the amount of mixes we keep up from five to three...

Otherwheres - On the subject of Peter Bjorn and John, the trio recently popped by the Interface and the Spinner's got a preview...

Otherwheres - Matt over at YANP has some Lovely Feathers news...

Labels:

4 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Let's Call It Off is my new Young Folks - thanks for tuning me in.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Can you enter more than once?
- Thomas

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hey great writeup on PB&J! Not sure if you picked it up already, but blogsarefordogs has a Girl Talk remix of Let's Call It Off.

http://blogsarefordogs.com/?p=336

Sorry - I didn't know how to link the text

Blogger Unknown said...
stephanie - Definitely one of my favorite tracks, glad you liked it.

anon - Glad you asked, you can actually enter only once, standard for all our contests really.

adam - Thanks a lot for pointing that out, I'll be sure to check it out!