4.11.2007
Rap Mix

So the column off to the right says I'm lacking any notable mixes. I will not stand for that, so I'm about to notably mix something up for you right now.

It's almost expected now that the majority of the musical blogging world will have their foundations set in indie rock. Both Sides is, the blogs we bookmark are, and if you visit any blog search engine, indie rock is most likely what you'll find most of the time. That's all great and obviously completely welcomed, but I think we can all do for a little horizon expansion here and there. So here, I bring to you my first ever rap mix.

I almost listened exclusively to R&B in elementary school (I cried when Aaliyah died). But to be perfectly honest, I didn't start listening regularly to rap and hip hop until the past couple years. I still am and always will be an indie girl at heart, but even indie is so diverse and broad that it's natural for indie listeners to enjoy a wide spectrum of genres.

Understand though that there is a definite distinction between good rap and shitty rap that should never be listened to. Just like rock, there are those rappers that get tons of air time on all your radio stations that produce garbage. Case in point: Nelly. Ja Rule. 50 Cent. Much equivalent to Simple Plan. Good Charlotte. New Found Glory. If you're fans of any of the rappers/bands I just mentioned, I mean no offense, but there's so much better music out there that will blow your mind once you lend an ear.
Here are some songs that I hope will do just that for you.

m4a Lil Wayne- Monster
m4a Lil Wayne- Georgia (Bush)
mp3 Nas- Hip Hop is Dead
mp3 Snoop Dogg- 10 Lil' Crips
mp3 Ghostface Killah- The Champ
mp3 Ghostface Killah- Shakey Dog

... and ending with a classic...
mp3 Bone Thugs n Harmony- Tha Crossroads

20 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Totally agree. Esp. with the Ja Rule/Simple Plan comparison.

My friends always attack me for listening to rap music! But I'm just as likely to be listening to Radiohead as I am to be listening to Kanye West.

That's what music's all about, I guess. There's so much out there that it'd be pointless to limit yourself to a genre.

People who live their lives dedicated to genre are living sad and pointless existences anyway. It's a well known fact.

Blogger InkyRacing877 said...
This music sucks BIG TIME!!!

You people should learn to listen to REAL music!

METAL RULES!!!

Blogger Unknown said...
O'Doyle Rules!

Blogger BariaBlog said...
Music of all sorts is to be valued but even the best can be played badly.

I am going to listen to your stuff. Thanks for the list.
maybe you can open my ears.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hi Alina,

I can't comment on these artists in particular because I am quite simply a middle-aged white dork who hasn't heard much rap music - yet. But I'm working on it, thanks to my local college station that mixes rap and hip hop into its playlist. I've surprised myself at how much I've enjoyed many of the tunes, so perhaps there is hope for me yet. Great blog - keep up the good work and rock on.

Peace,
Glenn

Blogger Avanti said...
You talk about rappers who get too much air-play and then you list Snoop? Erm...Can you say Poptart? He was good, now he sucks.

Check out Talib Kweli, loving his shit. Papoose as well. Heavy stuff

Blogger anotherdiary said...
hi

Blogger Alina said...
colin-

i talked about rappers who get too much airplay that produce garbage. snoop does not produce garbage. 10 lil crips is a damn good song and blue carpet treatment is a damn good album. and i have never heard lil crips on the radio.

what.

Blogger TRUTHMONGER said...
http://www.songramp.com/homepage.php?Who=goodlord

Blogger Avanti said...
I do like the song about Tookie Williams on Blue Carpet. Wouldn't rate it as a great album though. 'Just my thoughts y'all.'

What I meant is that he has moved from away from his older stuff, which was immense, to produce a lot of stuff that is more commercially acceptable. Hence, 'poptart'.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Well done. I like your blog. Speak soon. A.

Blogger Alina said...
colin-

yea i get what you're saying. his collaborations with pussy cat dolls and whatnot are pretty embarrassing. i still love him though, just like i still love jimmy eat world, even though they sold their soul to the devil after bleed american.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
U cant spell crap w/out rap!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Dumbass. you cant make a list of great rap songs without some Public Enemy. Mainly don't believe the hype, Public Enemy #1, and Black Steel in the Hour. oh and i agree with moxie on METAL RULES!

Great vids son.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Can't stand that concrete jungle bunny shit. Makes niggers sound stupid!

Blogger Alina said...
watch your language sandy!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
OK, I won't use the word 'shit' anymore!

Blogger papi_cyncere said...
"concrete jungle bunny shit"???? yeah that comment doesn't make sandy sound stupid at all....

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Cool blog. What do you all think about mouth grillz?