5.01.2007
The Appleseed Cast

The Appleseed Cast reminds me of my musical roots -- Jimmy Eat World, Sunday's Best, American Football, and such. Before emo turned into shit, this is what it was. Scratch the pussy vocals and shopping mall attitudes of the "emo" bands today; they bring shame to the genre. I was watching this Sports Center special a while ago that highlighted the past heroes of American football (the sport, not the band), and they were all talking about how ashamed they are of the players nowadays. They felt like they had laid this great foundation and that the modern athletes were fucking it up with their financial squabbles and obnoxious behavior. I know nothing about sports, modern or classic, so I can't really comment on that, but I feel like the same situation is being replicated in some realms of the music world. Emo music had its peak in the '90s, no doubt. Everything now is a kind of sick aftermath.

But yea, getting off my soapbox, The Appleseed Cast is a band that still produces music of the Mineral, American Football, Sunny Day Real Estate quality. By that I mean soft, complex drumming, soaring, interweaving guitar riffs, and grunge-like vocals. That is more than refreshing nowadays. People say punk is dead, and I was kind of scared emo was heading down that same path. You know what, it probably is, but kamikaze bands like The Appleseed Cast might reverse that trend for a little bit at least.

mp3 Fishing the Sky
mp3 Hanging Marionette

11 Comments:
Blogger tan said...
hi, i really like the way your blog's designed. i've added you to my blogroll, do tell me if you mind. cheers.

Blogger Party Ends said...
what a great band... a while back they lost their phenomanal drummer "cobra" and now they have this older studio musician dude.... so it's not the same live... but damn- that old shit is STILL fantastic. good post!

Blogger Mason said...
Hello Bradford and Al!!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hi Alina,
I just wanted to say hi!
SEE YOU SUNDAY
AND I LOVE YOU!!!

why aren't you also known as an animal as well? maybe alina aka lion or something. okay, maybe not lion.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Yeah, it seems like my new catch phrase these days is: "Hey, remember (insert awesome late 90's emo band name here, ie: Appleseed Cast, etc.), what are those guys doing now?" I just assume they are all producers someplace.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
How did you get the music links on your blog. I would like to know so I can post the song "Holbreg Suite" on my BLOG so my cousins can hear it.
Thanks for responding!

P.S. you cant get to my blog, so if you would post on this blog that would be great!

Blogger Alina said...
pfwhaat? haha, brad and i use fileden to upload our music, and then link from there.

our accounts expire every two seconds though, but it's good while it lasts.

Blogger Unknown said...
Hahaha and we really do mean every two seconds. For you situation though anon, it should work out just fine for hosting something your cousins can download...

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Thank you soooo much!!!

Kathy Wren

Blogger Ben said...
i'm glad that you present this band on your blog, and yes they're an unique, one of the first emo band, also that's why my logo features their masterpiece, "End of the Ring Wars".

Blogger Unknown said...
great post,I couldn't have said it better myself. It's nice to see someone spread the good word on these guys.