7.08.2007
[Spoon: Album Review]
"Betcha' got it all planned right. Betcha' never worry, never even feel a fright."

For anyone that's been reading this blog a while, it should come as no surprise that I'm quite fond of the Austin quartet that is Spoon - a band that, I feel, needs no introduction. At that, let's just jump right into Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. Now when it comes to Spoon's discography, one of the things I've come to love is the lasting quality of each album. Call it bias, but I honestly think it's impossible to wear out any of their albums. Every listen evokes the same things you experienced when you first listened to the song, and on the occasion a song does get old, it doesn't just get old; it goes classic. To me, Gimme Fiction feels like it was released just a couple months ago let alone two years, so when news of Ga Ga hit my ears, I was honestly surprised. Additionally, when I heard the band's sixth album would go under a title like Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, I was a little bit worried. After giving the album a thorough listen though, I see that there's nothing to worry about and that Spoon has once again topped themselves when it comes to their craft.

Ironically, for an album that's titled with such a babying sound, Ga Ga has become what I've affectionately come to call, "Spoon for grownups." Now, don't worry. When I use the term "grownups" my dear children, I'm not referring to it as something your parents ought to start listening to and, you know, turning uncool. No, no - what I'm saying is Ga Ga is matured. It's an album that definitely shows how Spoon's grown over the years, and the most astonishing part about Ga Ga is that it shows how Spoon's managed to reinvent themselves in a way that takes all the parts of their past and bundles it into a new package. Ga Ga definitely has a sense of the previous albums. By taking their past into their present, Spoon's molded an impressive sound and in turn, created some great tunage. Don't hesitate to pick this up when it hits shelves this Tuesday.


From Spoon's Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga (All Songs Are Right Click - Save As):
The Underdog
You Got Yr Cherry Bomb

And A Little Something I Picked Up At South By A Few Years Ago:
Don't Make Me A Target [Live]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Otherwheres - This is a rather quiet way to mention it, but a few days ago Both Sides of the Mouth turned a whole year old!

Otherwheres - Going on with blog news, we have a host and stuff now! Feel free to download to your heart's content because we've got a shitload of bandwidth now. At that, all of the old posts are just gonna lose their mp3s, we're gonna go ahead and let our old Fileden accounts just slowly wither away into cancellation.

Otherwheres - Covert Curiosity has some Octopus Project news...

Otherwheres - And with even more news, Matt over at YANP has some great news for you Bishop Allen fans...
4 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I preordered this album a while back expecting nothing but a great follow up to all their other albums. The difference between your live recording and the final version shows a huge progress, it's amazing.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
You seem to be getting better and better. Keep up the good work

Blogger Unknown said...
scott - Yeah the first time I listened to the album version of Target, I was just blown out of the water. Definitely a progress...

free games - I don't know whether to consider you spam but that's the nicest spam comment yet, so thanks!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'm still not so sure about this new album. The ghost of you lingers is eh, my little japanese cigarette case is eh. I'm just not really wowed by this new album as most people are yet. I'm hoping it will grow on me...