8.17.2007
[The Early Tapes]
"Screamin' and laughin' together, the cops were on their tail. They kissed each other goodbye, and Thomas drove off the street, straight into the river creek."

As evidenced by my four days of dormancy, every now and again I hit a point where I just feel the need to stop a moment and cleanse my musical palette of rock for a few days, and I usually don't put that musical retainer back in until I feel fit. This morning I woke up to The Early Tapes, and rather than snoozing my clock to death, I found myself coaxed to consciousness so that I could prick up my ears and hear more. The Early Tapes is a four-piece outfit coming out of right here in Austin, Texas and play music with the spirit of an expired decade. Calling influence from the likes of Hendrix, The Stooges, Zeppelin, and The Stones, The Early Tapes play with the early 70s at their backs in a way that few bands manage to execute in terms of success and skill.
The Early Tapes sends off waves of nostalgia with a sturdy stream of smooth bass lines, a persistent drum beat and confident vocals. I can just imagine dusting off an old vinyl from a worn sleeve and hearing these guys start crackling through the speaker. When it comes to these guys, you're sent dizzying into a trance and drift off towards a care-free demeanor, and drifting's definitely the word. I feel like these guys are just nomads that go from place to place and play tracks in those dark, smoke-filled bars in the middle of the desert off the 66. The boys don't have much of a discography as of yet, The Early Tapes are currently in the studio working on a full release.

Various Songs From The Early Tapes (all songs are right click - save as):
Charles Hand
Betty And Thomas

Learn more and pick up another track at The Early Tapes site.
Be their friend!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Otherwheres - I was wondering why Devendra's been on the tips of everybody's tongue, and rest assured, Connor over at IGIF is here to educate me...

Otherwheres - Elvis aficionados can gyrate themselves over to Covert Curiosity for their fix...

Otherwheres - Oh, and I've been stupid with forgetting to mention this for a while now, but the Austinist has all you need to ready yourself for this year's ACL Fest...
3 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
These are the guys that I sometimes wonder about when it comes to coverage. I have a hard time believing not that many people have yet to mention them.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I love love love "Betty and Thomas" - thanks for the share!

Blogger Unknown said...
mark - I gave them the run through on some aggregators and was surprised to see the lack of coverage too. I thought I was late on getting to these guys too...

valerie - No problem Valerie! Glad you like...