8.07.2007
St. Vincent
"Marry me, John, marry me, John, I'll be so good to you."

I saw St. Vincent before I heard her. Willowy limbs, curly mop of hair, penetrating eye-globes, and impeccably stylish clothing. I then hit play and fell in love, musically speaking. How much deeper do you think I fell once I learned that all the sweet, sweet music I was hearing was derived from her mouth and fingers alone? Yes, St. Vincent, aka Annie Clark, is yet another one of those multi-talented wonders that exists in the musical world, providing not only the voice, but also the guitar, bass, piano, synthesizer, and programming for her music. To amaze me even further, it came to my knowledge that she also performs by herself. St. Vincent is Superman.

As the established guitarist for both The Polyphonic Spree and Sufjan Stevens (!), it was only time before Annie spread her wings as a solo artist. July 10 saw the release of her debut album, Marry Me. Coyly named and coyly executed, her first record showcases her melodic soprano voice and whimsical instrumental style. Pleasant and equally heartfelt, songs like "Now. Now." and "Jesus Saves, I Spend" immediately root themselves in the listener's good graces with their refreshing originality and quirkiness. My prediction for St. Vincent for the upcoming years: raging popularity rivaling that of Sufjan.

Upcoming Shows

Aug 7
Modified Phoenix, AZ
Aug 8 Club Congress Tucson, AZ
Aug 9 Launchpad Albuquerque, NM
Sep 1 Bumbershoot Seattle, WA
Sep 4 229 London
Sep 5 Slaughtered Lamb London
Sep 14 Granada Theatre Dallas, TX
Sep 18 Ogden Theatre Denver, CO
Sep 19 Slowdown Omaha, NB
Sep 20 Fine Line Music Cafe Minneapolis, MN

mp3 Now. Now.
mp3 Jesus Saves, I Spend


DUMBO Session of "These Days"

--

Soyea only two more todays until The Octopus Project's Hello, Avalanche drops! If you just can't wait, stream selected tracks here.

Soyea Architecture in Helsinki has recently announced their fall tour. First show on the list is at Philly's Starlight Ballroom on the 10th of October. For the rest of the dates, check out Helsinki's Myspace.
5 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
This girl is just pretty everything

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I love, love, love this girl...

Blogger Ginny said...
wait, isn't the octopus project album due in october?

Blogger Alina said...
let me rephrase.

"only two more months until hello, avalanche drops!"

aha...

Anonymous Anonymous said...
we made a couple of videos with annie when she was in sydney recently, check them out at www.shoottheplayer.com