2.29.2008
[MGMT]
"I'm feelin' rough; I'm feelin' raw; I'm in the prime of my life."

As SXSW as these posts should be, my posts this week inadvertently ended up being kinda Fun Fun Fun Fest in nature. Like the other two groups I posted this week, I first caught MGMT in that small park in November, and since then, these guys have been heavy on my playlists. I think it's just pronounced "management" but nothing's gonna break my habit of individually enunciating each letter at this point. Based in the ever-popular artist mecca that is Brooklyn, MGMT has gone from a duo playing covers under a student-run college label to a touring quintet under big boy label Columbia Records. To me, MGMT's music represents the product of scoring the lives and dreams of Mario and other pixelated heroes of old. All right, so maybe not - especially since I don't really see Mario moving to Paris and marrying models while Luigi mans "the island and the cocaine and the elegant cars." I still see some justification in my opinion though. The electronic aspect of their tunage is enough to keep me entertaining the idea of them scoring a Mario biopic. MGMT's sound, progressively unique and impressively mature, tends to hold a certain fantasy-realm aura to it all - fans of Of Montreal ought to like these guys. SXSW-bound, be sure to catch one of their events...

Various Songs from MGMT (all songs are right click - save as):
Kids
Time To Pretend

Get more info over at the MGMT site.
Be their friend!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Otherwheres - Taco stand! Bounce House! The party always starts with Party Ends!, head on over and join them under their big top on the 13th...

Otherwheres - Because no one can do it better, Nothing But Green Lights gives a run-down of the goodage coming over from his side of the Atlantic. And for clarification, we're quite green and not very deserty at all...

Otherwheres - It's leap day! Granting those who are officially 84 the ability to drink under the technicality of finally being 21...

Labels:

2 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
My new niece has the wonderful circumstance to not turn one for FOREVER (four years)....

Anonymous Anonymous said...
anyone know how old those kids are?