[Rock Snobbery |:| A List]
Referencing it because I can, Urban Dictionary defines a rock snob as "an especially irritating breed of tool." Yes - in life's tool box, rock snobs are right there next to the guy who thinks he's the Fonz. Even if they have a characteristically, well, snobby attitude, rock snobs are a proud subset the music community can't exist without. Rock Snobbery is a badge one should be eager to both wear and hide - like the STD badge for Girl Scouts. While being ahead of the curve and the eliteness that come with being a rock snob are admittedly desirable, it's a slippery slope and quick fall down to you simply just being a douche. To help you carefully extract out the bad rock snob qualities from the good ones, I offer this checklist - hash too many of these, and you, sir or madam, are holding your nose too high.
- You hate music everyone else likes (and, consequently, love the music everyone else seems to hate).
- As much as you wish them the best, you have an unvoiced desire for your beloved "secret" band to never be discovered.
- You brag about never listening to the radio.
- You secretly judge people at as they browse through the record store.
- You've committed to memory each and every single vinyl record you own that way you can tell people all about it.
- You secretly judge people as they talk about a band.
- Rather than admitting to not knowing about a particular artist, you go straight to saying how you simply don't like, for the vaguest of reasons, the aforementioned unknown.
- Once you've agreed that a certain artist is great, you flowchart your way to either loving or hating that person based on the album they like best.
- You always arrive at a concert wondering how the hell everyone else heard about the band you're about to watch.
- You go out of your way to prove you heard about a band before someone else did.
- You start to question just how much you reaaally like a band once their gigs have upgraded to better and/or higher-capacity venues.
- You automatically scrap anything that's considered "mainstream" from your listening sessions.
- You cringe a little every time a song you like is used for a commercial and/or immediately stop listening to that song, or even band, entirely.Rock Snobbery Mix (artist name leads to site & all songs are right click - save as)
- VainThe Brunettes
- The Record StoreCSS
- Music Is My Hot SexCaptain of Industry
- Greater Than Greater ThanThe Chalets
- C'est SupercoolFrightened Rabbit
- Be Less RudeGreat Northern
- Telling LiesThe Pigeon Detectives
- I'm A LiarTeam Genius
- I'm Just An IdiotThe Wave Pictures
- Leave The Scene BehindWe Are Scientists
- This Scene Is Dead
Nope, Still No Otherwheres To Be Found Down Here