10.19.2006
[Adem]
Hrm, posting at nearly 12 in the morning isn't exactly great, but seeing as it's nearly time for people to sleep, on my hemisphere at least, I thought I'd send you all off into Slumberland with something slightly lullabye. Adem Ilhan is a fellow heralding from the UK that heads up the appropriately named solo project Adem. Slow and sure, his mellowed songs have silently climbed their way up my playlist in the past few days, yet despite that, it was today that I really took notice of his music and sound. Adem's demeanor is, in it's roots, contemporary folk with a careful hand that moves towards the experimental genre that is folktronica in the arena of fellow UK artist, Tunng. Now as most folk music goes, Adem pulls off subdued sounds that precipitate strong results. Really, it's the quality of simplified complexity that I find admirable in his music; it's one thing to pull off an innumerable set of layers, but concealing it to result in a simple song that carries just a great effect has got to be a difficult task. Adem is complex, but his ethereal qualities let everything just flow freely. So what does it do? Songs wrap around you, so you get that feeling of comfortable warmth on cold, drizzly mornings. Adem's second full-length release, Love and Other Planets, was released under Domino earlier this year. The soloist is currently touring with Juana Molina, and you can catch both of them in the latter end of their US travels. If you're in my area of Austin, TX and the immediate beyond, you can catch them at the Parish on the 26th of this month.

From Adem's Love and Other Planets (all songs are right click - save as):
Launch Yourself
X is for Kisses

Check out his tour dates at the Adem site.
Be his friend!

------------------------------------------------

Otherwheres - You've only got a few more hours to try your hand at winning some Archie Bronson Outfit goodness. I'll be announcing the winner at my next posting date - Saturday.
2 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Adem is great live and awesome post!

- Kara

Blogger Unknown said...
Heyo Kara - I'll definitely try to see if I can make the final show in his tour here in Austin...