2.08.2008
[The Blue Van]
"I have love. Oh, I will travel."

I really have to cut down on saying how surprised I am by certain aspects of some band. It may have gotten to the point where some of you out there might think I have a constant look of shock on my face. Honestly though, these guys just aren't something I would stamp "Danish" all over. On the other hand, I have no idea what I would stamp "Danish" all over, save for maybe...a viking? Based out of Copenhagen, however, The Blue Van is a quartet that most certainly is Danish all over - well, save for maybe their sound. That aspect, I believe, is quite a bit more Americana. Akin to the sound of The Early Tapes [post], The Blue Van play with the inspiration of the bygone era of incense and peppermints. And why wouldn't they? Given their start in the ruralities of Denmark, these boys only had each other and some old vinyl to be inspired by. These guys have been together since they were 12 - talk about BFF power. Or maybe it's some other power? They proclaim a lot of love for their individual instruments, one of which is an organ they found gathering dust and chicken feathers in some barn. It almost gets me thinkin' maybe this band takes power from their instruments the way He-Man would get all manly-man upon grabbing his sword. Whatever it is, The Blue Van is gritty and raw, at times sounding like a live recording. Open this time capsule up and groove a bit to The Blue Van...

Various Songs From The Blue Van (all songs are right click - save as):
Revelation of Love
Have Love, Will Travel

These guys are playing SXSW, check out more info at The Blue Van site.
Be their friend!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Otherwheres - It's too bad this diagram of Northern Europe doesn't give me much explanation on what to stamp "Danish"...

Otherwheres - Tag! Thanks to that handy, handy list, we can start tagging bands with a SXSW '08 label...

Otherwheres - Looks like everyone's a bit list happy, IGIF's got your run-down on the 2008 Bonnaroo lineup...

Labels:

2 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Haha I love that label of Iceland as "Bjork" just as much as that connection between Finland and Australia

Anonymous Anonymous said...
You can stamp Danish all over Lego if it didn't already have "Lego" stamped on it